This is being seen as part of government's war against terrorists, fraudsters and criminals.
Mumbai: After PAN cards and bank accounts, the government is likely to mandate the linking of Aadhaar with SIM cards.
According to a report in IANS, all phones, not linked with Aadhaar, will be deactivated after February 2018.
This is in tune with the Supreme Court's Lokniti Foundation case order in February 2017, that directed the government to facilitate the linking of SIM cards with Aadhaars. The government has responded by saying it will set up a framework for identifying pre-paid mobile users in the country based on Aadhaar authentication.
This is being seen as part of the government's war against terrorists, fraudsters, criminals who use multiple SIMs to get away with crime.
If you have not linked your phone number with Aadhaar yet, follow this process:
1. Download the Aadhaar Correction/Update form from the UIDAI website or visit your nearest Aadhaar centre to get it.
2. Fill the required details correctly and mention on the form that only the mobile number has to be linked.
3. Along with a photocopy of your Aadhaar card, you will require photocopy of an identity proof such as PAN Card, passport or voter ID card .
4. Your biometrics will be verified using your thumb impression.
5. You will be handed an acknowledgement slip of the process. It usually takes 2-5 working days for the number to be updated.
Alternatively, if you have already linked on of your numbers to Aadhaar , you may add another number as well. It can be done in the following way:
1. Log on to https://uidai.gov.in/
2. Click on the 'Update Aadhaar Details (Online)' option.
3. Click on 'To submit your update/ correction request please CLICK HERE' option, at the fag end of the page.
4. You will be required to enter your Aadhaar number and the security code on the page.
5. On doing so, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter the same and submit it.
6. Under 'Select field(s) to update', select 'Mobile Number'. Enter the new mobile number and submit the same.