The BMC issued a notice to the actor earlier last week, asking for permission to enter the premises of his building.
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) demolished an illegal extension on the terrace of actor Arjun Kapoor’s house on Monday afternoon, and will now charge him Rs 8,000 as reimbursement for the demolition.
A bunch of civic officials went to the actor’s Juhu home on Monday afternoon to pull down the unauthorised 30x16 sq ft brick room that houses a gym on the terrace of his seventh-floor apartment in Raheja Orchird.
Parag Masurkar, assistant municipal commissioner of H-West ward, under whose jurisdiction Mr Kapoor’s house falls, said, “About five or six civic body officials went to demolish the place, along with policemen. The demolition charges include the fees of the police, cost of hiring machines and the number of man hours put in by the BMC to demolish the place.” Despite attempts to contact Mr Kapoor, he remained unavailable.
The BMC issued a notice to the actor earlier last week, asking for permission to enter the premises of his building, following complaints from a local activist that the actor had still not pulled down the structure even after the BMC’s primary notice issued in March.
The BMC first issued a show-cause notice to the actor in March, giving him seven days to produce the documents to prove the legality of the gym. Mr Masurkar said the actor did not reply within the stipulated time. It would have taken the civic body another month to verify the papers, and inspect the place, before taking any action.
Recently, the actor’s manager approached the BMC asking for more time to legalise the structure. However, after he overstepped the time limit, the BMC then sent Mr Kapoor another notice asking for permission to enter his premises to demolish the place.