Director Rumi Jaffrey reveals that the actor was, in fact, slated to work with him on a film produced by Vashu Bhagnani
Sushant Singh Rajput had signed on a film produced by Vashu Bhagnani and directed by the veteran writer-turned-director Rumi Jaffery, who had completed the shoot of the Amitabh Bachchan-Emraan Hashmi starrer Chehre in May. T
he makers were to shoot in London when lockdown forced them to postpone it.
The 34-year-old MS Dhoni: The Untold story actor died by suicide on Sunday.
“I spoke to him a while back. He had been coming home and meeting my family; I had gone to his terrace flat as well and had a few meetings with him overlooking the sea and he was very positive about starting work. My wife and children have been crying ever since they heard the news. We were scheduled to shoot soon after getting the permissions and this happened,” says Rumi.
The filmmaker was very disturbed by reports that Sushant had no work. “I was disturbed by some news channels insinuating that he had no work and was depressed because of that. He was doing my film. A lot of people, who knew that he was visiting my house often, also wanted to work with him, but he had refused even though he was being paid a lot of money. He had enough money and was not short of it at all. Actors get money today for appearances etc., too apart from doing films,” says Rumi.
Besides Rumi’s film, Sushant Singh Rajput had also heard an idea from Lahore filmmaker Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan, who had earlier planned Chanda Mama Door Ke with Sushant, and was planning to listen to a script over a video meeting this week.