Saturday, Jul 13, 2024 | Last Update : 05:43 PM IST

  India   All India  14 Jun 2024  Maratha quota activist calls off hunger strike, gives 1 month to Shinde government

Maratha quota activist calls off hunger strike, gives 1 month to Shinde government

THE ASIAN AGE. | SONU SHRIVASTAVA
Published : Jun 14, 2024, 1:31 am IST
Updated : Jun 14, 2024, 1:31 am IST

Jarange said that respecting the government’s request, he is calling off his hunger strike

Manoj Jarange. (ANI)
 Manoj Jarange. (ANI)

Mumbai: Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange on Thursday withdrew his hunger strike by giving a month’s time to the Eknath Shinde government for implementation of a draft notification that recognises all “sage soyre” (blood relatives) of  Maratha community members as Kunbis, an agrarian group classified as an OBC (other backward class) community. The quota activist said that if the government fails to fulfill the demand, they would defeat the candidates of the ruling parties in the upcoming Assembly election to be held in mid October.

The activist’s announcement came after assurance given by a delegation of the state government to fulfill his demands within a period of one month. The delegation was comprised of Eknath Shinde’s close aide and cabinet Minister Shambhuraj Desai and Shiv Sena MP Sandipan Bhumre. Mr. Desai urged Mr.Jarange to give at least a month’s time to the government to act on the community’s demands. The cabinet minister assured him that he would personally monitor the issue and take weekly follow up of the issue.

In a response to the government’s request, Jarange pointed out that he had already given five months to the state government as the draft notification was issued on January 27 of this year. On this, the delegation informed him that due to election related issues, it got delayed.    

Jarange, who was on a hunger strike in Antarvali Sarati, Jalna district, said that respecting the government’s request, he is calling off his hunger strike.

The activist said that if the community’s demand is not fulfilled, they would enter into the politics of the state. The government should comply by July 13 or face the consequences. “We will field candidates in all 288 constituencies in the Assembly polls. If our demands are not fulfilled, we are now going to enter into politics,” he said.

This was the fifth time in the last 10 months that Jarange had gone on hunger strike.

In the recently concluded Lok Sabha election, the ruling parties especially the BJP suffered major losses due to the Maratha backlash.

Mr. Desai said that a meeting will be held on Friday over the issue. “We will take a positive decision on the demands of the Maratha community within a month. If additional manpower is needed to expedite the work, we will do so,” he said.

Bhumre said that they had sought two months from Jarange. “But he told us to resolve our issues within a month’s time,” he said.

Tags: maratha quota, maratha quota demand, manoj jarange patil
Location: India, Maharashtra