Get ready for the harvest festival with these special recipes from chefs, and make a wholesome meal at home.
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Water 2 cups
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Salt 2 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves 1 Sprig
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Coconut grated 1/4 cup
- Dried red chillies 4 to 6
- Tamarind pulp 2 tbsp
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dried red chillies 1
- Slit green chillies 2
- Peanuts 2 tbsp
- Dried kala Channa 1 tbsp (optional)
- Urad dal split 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice and boil till cooked, strain water and cool rice.
- Roast mustard seeds, coconut, red chilli and grind with tamarind and make a fine thick paste.
- Mix the rice with mixed spice paste.
- Heat oil in a thick pan and add mustard, red chilli, green chilli, whole peanut, channa dal , urad dal, curry leaves and hing . Mix the rice with tempering and check seasoning.
- Serve with vadagam or pappad.
Chef Suresh Thampy, executive chef, Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel at Brigade Gateway.
- Refined flour 220 gm
- Refined oil 100 ml l Turmeric powder 2 gm
- Salt 5 gm l Toor dal 20 gm l Grated jaggery 20 gm l Grated coconut 20 gm l Cardamom 5 gm
- Boil toor dal with a pinch of salt and cool.
- Make a paste and mix jaggery, cardamom powder and grated coconut.
- To make a dough-blend flour, water and knead.
- Stuff with the above mixture and cook on a tawa on either side with ghee till golden brown.
Recipe courtesy Chef Gaurav Bathla, sous chef Movenpick Hotel & Spa Bangalore