Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 | Last Update : 04:01 PM IST

  Life   Health  16 Nov 2018  Boy hospitalised after swallowing 14 magnets while trying to hide brother's toy

Boy hospitalised after swallowing 14 magnets while trying to hide brother's toy

THE ASIAN AGE
Published : Nov 16, 2018, 5:00 pm IST
Updated : Nov 16, 2018, 5:00 pm IST

The boy ended up swallowing the object and has had to undergo three surgeries to repair the damage in two weeks.

Doctors found that these had perforated the linings and were leaking bile into the child’s stomach (Photo: AFP)
 Doctors found that these had perforated the linings and were leaking bile into the child’s stomach (Photo: AFP)

Markets across the globe are flooded with different toys for children but sometimes these can prove to be dangerous. Despite warnings there are several instances of children swallowing objects leading to grave consequences.

Six-year-old Mikah Arvidson’s parents thought he was having a stomach bug when he wasn’t feeling well. But after days of vomiting and abdominal pain he was rushed to a hospital where it was discovered that there were 14 tiny magnets in his small intestines.

Doctors found that these had perforated the linings and were leaking bile into the child’s stomach. Mikah told his parents that he had been secretly playing with his brother’s fidget toy and hid it in his mouth when his brother walked in.

The boy ended up swallowing the object and has had to undergo three surgeries to repair the damage in two weeks. He is hospitalised and is unable to eat or drink anything.

Tags: swallowed, magnets, health