World Heritage Day aims to preserve the human heritage and recognise the efforts of all relevant organisations in the field.
Celebrated annually on April 18 every year, World Heritage Day aims to preserve the human heritage and recognise the efforts of all relevant organisations in the field.
In 1982, the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) announced, 18 April as the "World Heritage Day", approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983, with the aim of enhancing awareness of the importance of the cultural heritage of humankind, and redouble efforts to protect and conserve the human heritage.
Here’s taking a look at the 36 world heritage sites in India as stated by UNESCO
- Kaziranga in Assam
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary in Assam
- Sundarbans National Park in West Bengal
- Western Ghats. These include Agasthyamalai Sub-Cluster, Periyar Sub-Cluster, Anamalai Sub-Cluster, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster, Talakaveri Sub-Cluster, Kudremukh Sub-Cluster, Sahyadri Sub-Cluster
- Great Himalayan National Park in Himachal Pradesh
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya in Bihar
- Churches and Convents of Goa
- Humayun's Tomb in Delhi
- Red Fort Complex in Delhi
- Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park in Gujarat
- Group of Monuments at Hampi in Karnataka
- Group of Monuments at Pattadakal in Karnataka
- Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh
- Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka in Madhya Pradesh
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments in Madhya Pradesh
- Ajanta Caves in Maharashtra
- Ellora Caves in Maharashtra
- Elephanta Caves in Maharashtra
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) in Maharashtra
- Sun Temple at Konark in Odisha
- Keoladeo National Park in Bharatpur, Rajasthan
- Jantar Mantar in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Great Living Chola Temples in Tamil Nadu. They include Brihadeeswarar temple in Gangaikonda Cholapuram, Airavateshwarar Temple in Darasuram, Brihadeeswarar Temple in Thanjavur.
- Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu
- Agra Fort in Uttar Pradesh
- Fatehpur Sikri in Uttar Pradesh
- Taj Mahal, Uttar Pradesh
- Rani ki vav (The Queen's Stepwell) in Patan, Gujarat
- Mountain Railways of India. They include Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in West Bengal, Nilgiri Mountain Railway in Ooty, Tamil Nadu, Kalka-Shimla Railway in Himachal Pradesh.
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan. They include Chittorgarh, Kumbhalgarh, Ranthambhore, Amber Sub-Cluster, Gagron
- Nalanda in Bihar
- Khangchendzonga National Park In Sikkim
- The Architectural Work Of Le Corbusier in Chandigarh
- Historic City of Ahmadabad in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Qutb Minar in Delhi