Solo travelling is one of the most beautiful experiences you can ever have in your life.
Solo travelling is one of the most beautiful experiences you can ever have in your life. You are your master; you set your rules and travel. It lets you explore yourself and most importantly helps you overcome some of your fears. Like two sides of a coin, it has its perils too. But, you would be able to tackle them all with a little preparation. Here are some pointers.
- The primary concern of a solo traveller would be safety. You may come across con artists and other unpleasant situations. Be conscious and alert while travelling solo and if any crisis arises, don’t panic.
- Read about and talk to travel experts at the place you are planning to visit. Book accommodation beforehand. If you are a budget traveller, try homestay or hostel. Homestays will let you get the hang of local culture. Make sure that you carry identification proof with you and ask the hotel or homestay owner about check-in and check-out timings.
- Carry minimum luggage. A backpack and sling bag would do.
- Besides saving local and emergency contacts on your gadget, jot them on a notepad too, and keep that in your sling bag along with ID proofs.
- Ditch those usual tourist costumes and wear something casual so that you won’t get noticed. Use minimum jewellery.
- Tell your close friends about your travel plans.
- One of the best parts of solo travel is that you get to meet new people. Befriend them, spend time with them, but don’t disclose much about yourself. It is fine to lie sometimes.
- Above all, believe in yourself. You will make mistakes initially, but learn from them. Never give up. Trust your intuitions and go.