Wednesday, Jun 12, 2024 | Last Update : 08:58 PM IST

  Metros   Delhi  05 Jan 2017  Live wire in ATM kiosk injures 26-year-old

Live wire in ATM kiosk injures 26-year-old

THE ASIAN AGE. | SHWETA SINGH
Published : Jan 5, 2017, 4:03 am IST
Updated : Jan 5, 2017, 6:26 am IST

A medico-legal case has been registered against Central Bank of India in this connection.

The incident raises safety concerns as the dilapidated electrical work carried out at the ATM kiosk may result in a major tragedy.
 The incident raises safety concerns as the dilapidated electrical work carried out at the ATM kiosk may result in a major tragedy.

A live wire at a bank ATM electrocuted a 26-year-old cook working for the Press Club of India at Raisina Marg and has left him wuth a displaced shoulder.

A medico-legal case has been registered against Central Bank of India in this connection. According to the manager, Mr Jeetendra of Press Club of India, this is not the first incident. The same day, a similar incident had taken place with one of the members of the Press Club of India identified as Shivesh Garg, a scribe who had gone to withdraw the cash and received a jolt and had a miraculous escape. The incident raises safety concerns as the dilapidated electrical work carried out at the ATM kiosk may result in a major tragedy.      

The incident took place on December 23 at Raisina Marg. It was a usual day at work for Alam, who was busy in the kitchen, when he heard that the cash is being reclaiberated in the Central Bank of India ATM. Alam rushed towards the kisok and pulled up the half-down shutter when he allegedly came in contact with a live wire which resulted into his electrocution. Recalling the horror, he said, “I received a shock following which I was thrown away. The current running thro-ugh the wires resulted in a fracture of my right shoulder which got displaced.”

I was in need of cash and as soon as I heard that the cash is being refilled in the machine, I rushed to withdraw the money. The shutter was half drawn while the security guard was seated inside. As soon as I pulled-up the shutter and went in, I received a shock following which I was thrown away. The high current running through the wires resulted in a fracture of my right shoulder which got displaced.”

He further said, “There was a black out for few minutes before I regained my consciousness. I remember the security guard trying to wake me up. Meanwhile my manager Mr. Jeetendra along with my colleagues Gulfam and others had come to the spot hearing my loud cries and rushed me to nearby ram Manohar Lohia Hospital where I was asked to undergo surgery on December, 25. There is no movement towards right side of the body. The doctors performed a surgery and have placed iron rods along with plates and screw to bring back the shoulder at right level.”

Speaking to the Age Correspondent, Jeetendra, manager at Press Club of India said, “We are taking care of Alam as he had been with us for over seven years and whatever is in our capacity we are doing to make sure he gets well soon. We have also spoken to the bank authorities and have demanded compensation for Alam. Meanwhile, we are also contemplating to take  alegal course in this connection.”

A dejected Alam, who hails from West Bengal has been working with Press Club of India as cook for seven years. He is survived by mother, and two siblings, a younger sister and a brother. He had moved to Delhi around eight years ago in search of work and was living alone. Currently, he is under observation and has to visit hospital for regular bandages. With zero mobility and iron rods placed in the shoulder, Alam prays that he recuperates from the injury soon as his sister’s wedding is nearing.

Tags: central bank of india, press club of india, kisok