The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had registered a case against the three accused last year on January 28.
New Delhi: A special court awarded seven-year jail term to two ISIS men on Friday after they pleaded guilty of criminally conspiring to raise funds and recruiting people for the terror outfit, ISIS. District judge Amar Nath convicted Azhar-ul-Islam (24) from Jammu and Kashmir and Mohammed Farhan Shaikh (25) from Maharashtra, after both pleaded guilty of criminally conspiring to raise funds and recruiting people for ISIS, saying that “it seems they have realised their mistakes and are willing to repent for their acts and deeds.”
“No doubt, they were members of a terrorist organisation and got themselves associated with their activities. That may be their folly either on account of misguidance or lack of maturity of mind and circumstances,” the judge said.
He said that the court “needs to take into account the positive aspects from their act of pleading guilty. It seems the convicts have realised their mistakes and are willing to repent for their acts and deeds.” In that case, the convicts should get an opportunity to reform themselves and be good citizens of this country. “Keeping in view the aforesaid facts and circumstances, I am of the considered opinion that there is a necessity of showing some leniency while imposing punishment upon the convicts, but at the same time, it should not be a wrong message to the society,” the judge said. The accused had moved the court following their U-turn more than a month after the court framed charges against them. The accused had moved an application through advocate M.S. Khan saying they “are remorseful of the acts alleged against them. There is no prior criminal record against them and they want to join the mainstream.”
“The applicants are pleading guilty without any pressure, threat, coercion or undue influence,” the plea had said.
The court had last month framed charges against both the accused and on 36-year-old Adnan Hassan for allegedly hatching a criminal conspiracy to raise funds for the ISIS and recruiting people for the terror outfit. The trial against Hassan is continuing separately before the same court.
The court had framed the charges for alleged offences of criminal conspiracy under the IPC and under provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had registered a case against the three accused last year on January 28. They were arrested the next day here upon their arrival from Abu Dhabi.
According to the probe agency, Hassan and Shaikh had been frequently visiting the UAE in connection with jobs since 2008 and 2012 respectively, while Azhar had gone to join them in the UAE in July 2015.