One of the employee sustained severe injury on his spinal cord as he jumped from the 5th floor.
Noida: Six employees of an electronics goods manufacturing unit were charred to death after fire broke out in the five-storey building located in Sector 11 of Noida on Wednesday. One of the employee sustained severe injury on his spinal cord as he jumped from the 5th floor.
A survivor told this newspaper that the employees trapped inside the building kept dialling “100” to inform the Noida police to send for assistance, but the calls landed in neighbouring cities of Delhi and Ghaziabad that led to delayed help.
The victims could not be identified as the bodies were severely burnt. “We have contacted family members and other employee who were rescued to identify the victims,” said a senior police official, adding, “The bodies will soon be sent for an autopsy.”
“Twelve fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire. Goods worth Rs 15 crore was gutted in the incident. During the fire, 20 employees were inside the factory,” said the police official.
“Our 12 fire tenders, one 32 meters and another 42 meters hydraulic machine reached the spot within 30 minutes. It took time because of traffic and encroachment on the road. Our Ghaziabad staff also reached at the spot for help,” said Aman Sharma, a fire department official at the spot.
“It appears that fire broke out due to short circuit on the 3rd floor. Within seconds, we had to make a decision either to go upstairs or downstairs. Four employees rushed upstairs. One employee, Vivek, jumped from the 5th floor, while rest of employees rushed downstairs,” said Ashish Kumar, another employee.
The four employees who rushed upstairs have been identified as Priyansh, Hitesh, Vivek and Jasmeet. Vivek, who sustained severe injuries was rushed to a nearby private hospital and his condition is said to be critical.
The factory owner, Mahboob Akhtar, said Rs 15 crore goods were inside the factory. “I am more concerned about the employees. I am providing all possible help to the injured workers,” he said.