Tuesday, Apr 16, 2024 | Last Update : 10:27 PM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  04 Aug 2018  20-year-old man travelling on train rooftop electrocuted

20-year-old man travelling on train rooftop electrocuted

THE ASIAN AGE. | SONU SHRIVASTAVA
Published : Aug 4, 2018, 2:00 am IST
Updated : Aug 4, 2018, 2:00 am IST

Travelling on roof of the train is an offence under section 156 of the Railways Act, 1989.

(Representational Image)
 (Representational Image)

MUMBAI: A 20-year-old man was electrocuted at Chunabhatti station at 10 am on Friday.

Sources revealed that the man identified as Amin Habi Ulla Khan was standing on a CSMT-bound suburban train's roof when his body came in contact with an over-head wire. Khan was admitted to the ICU of Sion Hospital and has suffered up to 85 per cent burns.

According to the Government Railway Police (GRP) Wadala, Khan was going to Sewri railway station and was standing on the roof of the CSMT-bound train when the incident happened. When Khan's pocket was checked, the police found a wallet, which helped them contact his family members. The train was detained for ten minutes due to the incident.

Travelling on roof of the train is an offence under section 156 of the Railways Act, 1989. Railway Protection Force (RPF) Wadala has not registered a case against him.   

An official of GRP Wadala said that Khan boarded a 9.50 am local from Govandi, however, as it was crowded, he climbed up on the roof. As the train reached Chunabhatti, Khan got electrocuted. Subseque-ntly, Khan was rushed to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)-run Sion Hospital with help of porter and GRP through 108 Ambulance.

In a statement to GRP, Khan has said that he got electrocuted as he was on the roof of the local train, his clothes and body burnt and he did not know where his sack bag and mobile have gone.

According to GRP official, he does not have complaint against anyone. Mumtaz Khan, who is mother of the victim, said, “Her son has suffered 85 to 90 per cent burns.”

The dean of Sion Hospital, Jayshree Mondkar, told this newspaper that Khan suffered 85 to 90 per cent burns.

Meanwhile, a man was electrocuted at Ghatkopar station on April 17, 2018. He suffered burn injuries after his hand came in contact with the high-voltage overhead line and was thrown off the roof.

Tags: sion hospital