Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 | Last Update : 04:23 AM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  18 Dec 2018  Hosp had failed fire safety test

Hosp had failed fire safety test

Published : Dec 18, 2018, 1:50 am IST
Updated : Dec 18, 2018, 1:50 am IST

The fire department had carried out inspection 15 days prior to the incident.

39 injured were rushed to Hindu Hruday Samrat Balasaheb Thackerey Hospital in Jogeshwari.
 39 injured were rushed to Hindu Hruday Samrat Balasaheb Thackerey Hospital in Jogeshwari.

Mumbai: Six people were killed in a major fire that broke out at the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation Hospital (Kamgar Hospital) in Marol, Andheri (east) on Monday afternoon.

According to primary information, it is believed that a short circuit in the operation theatre caused the fire. Around 8 to 10 persons were rescued from the staircase and seven persons were rescued from the second floor through staircase while one fireman sustained a head injury.

The fire department had found out that the sprinkle and detection system were not in line with provisions. Milind Ogle, the deputy chief fire officer of the MIDC area, said, “Our team had found some lacunae in an under-construction building coming up adjacent to the hospital and suggested their rectification. The hospital administration was in the process of complying with our suggestions. Meanwhile, this incident took place in the old hospital building.”

Suresh Kothalkar, who was searching for his wife, Aarti Kotharkar (50), said, “My wife had been admitted to Kamgar Hospital and she underwent abdominal surgery. Our two daughters were accompanying her. One of them has been admitted to Seven Hills Hospital and another has been admitted to Cooper Hospital.”

Another woman identified as Manisha (40) jumped from the third floor to escape from the flames. She landed on the second floor and fractured her right leg. She has been treated in ICU at Cooper Hospital and is recuperating.

A minor, Sushmita Ash-ok Sutar (15), from Boisar was searching for her sister Anusha (24) at Cooper Hospital. Talking to The Asian Age she said, “I was lost and couldn’t see anything due to the dense smoke. I was trapped and I was about to jump but someone held me back and got me here. I am unable to find my family.”

Patients Priya Khamak-ar and Nutan Kamble suffered illnesses due to smoke inhalation whereas Sandesh Jadhav who is a fireman received head injury and was referred for a computerised tomography (CT) scan for his medical evaluation.

Dr Shmruti Khetala, head of Cooper Hospital’s medicine unit, where the patients have been admitted, said, “Most patients are suffering from breathing illnesses since they are suffering from smoke inhalation. All other patients are out of danger and are recuperating.”

Tags: esic kamgar hospital, fire in mumbai hospital, mumbai fire