Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 | Last Update : 07:43 AM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  19 Apr 2017  Lahoria murder accused fears threat to life

Lahoria murder accused fears threat to life

THE ASIAN AGE. | KA DODHIYA
Published : Apr 19, 2017, 1:26 am IST
Updated : Apr 19, 2017, 1:26 am IST

Bijlani and 14 others were arrested in connection with the Lahoria killing.

Bombay High Court
 Bombay High Court

Mumbai: The main accused in a murder case has filed a petition in the Bombay high court, demanding that the investigation be transferred to an independent agency as he fears a threat to his life.

Jawahar Bijlani, undergoing trial in the murder of Navi Mumbai-based builder Sunil Lahoria outside his office at Vashi in February 2013, said he feared for his life while attending the trial court.

Bijlani said investigation had revealed that a “Lahoria from Navi Mumbai” had given a “supari” to contract killers to bump him off.

Bijlani and 14 others were arrested in connection with the Lahoria killing. A division bench of Justices Ranjit More and Anuja Prabhudessai heard Bijlani’s petition.

Senior counsel Monoj Mohite informed the court that the Ichalkaranji police, Kolhapur, had apprehended one Swapnil Patale, who admitted that he had been given a contract to kill Bijlani.

The petitioners based their submissions on the Ichalkaranji police’s chargesheet, which mentions that Patale was carrying a country-made pistol, eight live cartridges, Rs 10,000 cash and a picture of Bijlani.

Tags: bombay high court, jawahar bijlani, lahoria killing
Location: India, Maharashtra, Mumbai (Bombay)