Saturday, Sep 30, 2023 | Last Update : 03:17 PM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  23 Jul 2018  Protesters attack cops, MSSF staff in police station

Protesters attack cops, MSSF staff in police station

Published : Jul 23, 2018, 2:22 am IST
Updated : Jul 23, 2018, 2:22 am IST

The attack left two constables and three MSSF staffs injured.

The mob pelted stones and ransacked three police vans.
 The mob pelted stones and ransacked three police vans.

MUMBAI: Hours after a 17-year-old boy, Sachin Jaiswar, succumbed to suspected Leptospirosis at the civic-run Sion Hospital, a mob of around 100 persons, including his relatives and Dharavi-based neighbours, allegedly attacked policemen and the staff of MSSF (Maharashtra State Security Force) at Sion police station. The mob pelted stones and ransacked three police vans there, alleging that Jaiswar died due to alleged police torture. The Dharavi police had earlier on July 13 picked up Jaiswar for questioning in a mobile theft case but was allowed to go after 22 hours.

Two days after returning from police station, Jaiswar started vomiting following which his health deteriorated. On Saturday, when he was declared dead, his family and acquaintances tried to click the body’s picture in the hospital premises but were prevented from doing so by the staff. It led to a commotion and was followed by a violent protest.

The attack at the police station left two constables and three MSSF staff injured who are now undergoing treatment in Sion hospital. Following the mob attack, the Sion police registered a case against 100 unknown persons for allegedly causing commotion under relevant sections of the IPC that pertains to unlawful assembly and assault on a public servant.

N. Ambika, deputy commissioner of police (zone 4) said, “We have registered a case, and are scanning through the CCTV footages in the hospital and area, to identify the accused persons, and make the arrests accordingly.”

Sachin Jaiswar, a 17-year-old boy, who was appearing for his class 9 exams through a private institute, was picked up from his home by five policemen dressed in civil clothes from Dharavi police station at 1 am on July 13, and was taken to the police station for questioning in a case of mobile theft. Jaiswar’s elder brother Sunil said, “When we followed him to the police station, the cops were bashing him and told us that after the interrogation is over, he will be dropped back home. However, Sachin returned home 22 hours later, in a weakened state, with several marks on his body.”

Further sharing the ordeal, Sunil added, “A day after coming from the police station, on July 15, Sachin started vomiting blood and had a high-fever, following which we admitted him in Sion Hospital. However, on Saturday evening, he died due to his ailments.”

Talking to The Asian Age, senior official of Sion hospital said, “The patient was rushed to our hospital on Friday with symptoms of high fever, headache and body ache, all symptoms was pointing out towards Leptospirosis.” When asked whether he died due to Leptospirosis, the medico replied, “He was having high fever and the committee will confirm the cause of death only after checking. However, the initial medical evaluation reveals that he died due to Leptospirosis.” The doctor further added, “There was no marks on his body of assault.”

Tags: leptospirosis, sion hospital