Saturday, Apr 20, 2024 | Last Update : 03:54 PM IST

  Metros   Mumbai  23 Oct 2018  Bombay HC allows plea to expedite trial in Malegaon blast

Bombay HC allows plea to expedite trial in Malegaon blast

THE ASIAN AGE.
Published : Oct 23, 2018, 2:08 am IST
Updated : Oct 23, 2018, 2:08 am IST

Sameer Kulkarni, who is accused number five in the case, moved HC for a speedy hearing.

Seven persons were killed and nearly 100 others injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle exploded in the Malegaon town of Nashik district on September 29, 2008.
 Seven persons were killed and nearly 100 others injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle exploded in the Malegaon town of Nashik district on September 29, 2008.

Mumbai: The Bombay high court on Monday allowed the application moved by accused Sameer Kulkarni, seeking to expedite the trial in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case. Kulkarni, who is accused number five in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, had moved the high court, praying that appropriate directions be issued to the special NIA court for speedy hearing of the trial.

While hearing the application, a division bench of Justice S.S. Shinde and Justice A.S. Gadkari on October 9 directed the registrar (judicial) to submit a report on the status of the trial and also submit the number of applications pending before the court in connection with the case. Following this, a report was submitted before the court stating that the trial court had fixed October 26 for framing of charges and thereafter, the trial in the case would begin.

NIA’s special public prosecutor Sandesh Patil also informed the court that the investigating agency was desirous of proceeding with the trial on a day-to-day basis.

“Since the offence dates back to 2008 and the said case is pending on the file of the trial court/special NIA court for a very long time, we hereby request the special NIA judge to make an endeavour to conduct the trial of the said case preferably on a day-to-day basis and expedite the same,” said the bench. It also said that the apex court and the high court had already passed orders for expeditious trial of the 2008 Malegaon blast case and that the same be implemented.

Seven persons were killed and nearly 100 others injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle exploded in the Malegaon town of Nashik district on September 29, 2008.

Tags: bombay high court, malegaon blast