Special judge Sunil Kumar Sharma decided to restrain the media from reporting on the trial.
A special CBI court on Wednesday restrained media from reporting on the alleged Sohrabuddin Shaikh fake encounter case trial until further orders. The judge said that publication of trial proceedings could create security problems for the accused, prosecution witnesses, defense and prosecution. Defense lawyers of all accused had filed an application in court seeking a ban on media reporting on court proceedings in the case, saying that this was a sensational matter and if media was allowed to report, there was a likelihood of untoward incidents. The defense lawyers cited an example of misreporting saying that the natural death of a judge who had earlier dealt with the case was made out to be a murder. Meanwhile, media persons present in court had opposed the application, contending that banning media from reporting the trial was tantamount to a breach of citizens’ fundamental right to know progress of the case.
After hearing the arguments, special judge Sunil Kumar Sharma decided to restrain the media from reporting on the trial.
“The matter appears sensational. Considering the sensibilities in the matter, likelihood of any untoward incident, and likelihood of effect on the trial, in case of day-to-day publication of evidence that may be brought on record, I am of the view not to allow media to publish any of the proceedings until further orders,” the judge said.