Several owners have started reporting their Bluetooth-enabled fidget spinners as unexpectedly catching fire while charging.
Fidget spinners is the new crazed trend among the youth at the moment. While they are meant to be stress busters, you might want to think twice before buying one. Users have started reporting their Bluetooth-enabled fidget spinners as unexpectedly catching fire while charging.
“I was downstairs and all I heard was, "fire, fire." The fidget spinner wasn't smoking, it was in flames,” Kimberly Allums from Gardendale, Alabama told WBRC. “I just really want people to be aware of this because a lot of people have been inboxing me reaching out to me leaving messages saying my child has this same fidget spinner. Anytime, you have anything that needs to be charged, we really need to be paying attention to the manufacturers of these, doing our research,' she added.
Another user, Michelle Carr reported a similar incident. She reportedly said that her fidget-spinner caught fire after being charged for less than 30 minutes. “They're just simple, little things you spin and I love to play with them,” Ms Carr told WEYI. “I personally won't buy another one because of the fear of it. I know there are tons of kids who want to go get them, but if you plug them in, just stay by and make sure it's charged and it doesn't catch,” she added.
In a statement to Gizmodo, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said they were investigating these incidents.